Monday, February 11, 2008

The Congressional Medal of Honor Winner


When I lived in the Cleveland area, I was on my way home on Tiedeman and Brookpark Road when I noted that the car in front of me was rather old and rusted out but had a license plate that identified the driver as a Congressional Medal of Honor Winner. I drove up to the side of the car and asked him if I could talk to him. He pulled over.

So you know how amazing it was just to meet such a man, there were only 13 Medal of Honor Recipients from the entire State of Ohio for the Vietnam War!

ConflictRecipients
Civil War 195
Campaigns against Native Americans 53
Spanish American War 4
World War I4
World War II 32
Korean War3
Vietnam War13
Other conflicts and peacetime 15
Total 319

"The criteria for the award changed over the years since the Civil War, but the common theme has been extraordinary courage demonstrated through actions taken despite great danger and against all odds. Many of the men who received the Medal of Honor made the ultimate sacrifice of their own lives to protect and defend not only their fellow soldiers, but also the Americans ideals of freedom and justice for all." (Ohio Historical Society)

What made this even more amazing is that most recipients died earning the medal! Here I was, privileged to shake the hand of a real American Hero! He drove a rusted old car and seemed, well, quite average.

Yet, I knew that I stood in the presence of one of the greatest men in the country that had ever lived. I told him humbly how much I appreciated his sacrifice and his amazing accomplishment. He humbly replied with a quiet "thank you". I then asked him if he would grant me the honor of buying him dinner at a nice local restaurant. He politely declined.

He then turned around and walked back to his rusted old car, opened the door, and said:

"You don't owe me anything buddy, but thanks for saying thanks!" Then he drove away.

In our litigious society it is amazing to think that this man; who hadn't spilled hot coffee in his lap; or found a toenail in his chili; still felt that I didn't owe him anything. God Bless the good ol USA and the military men that serve and have served her!

No comments: