Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Hunter... By Paul Drockton

When I was in my 20s I went "hunting for pheasant" with a friend of mine. He brought another friend. As we walked through the barren corn field looking for pheasant I laughed to myself as I watched this guy swinging his shotgun from left to right...with every footstep. He walked fast. But he also walked carefully...looking from side to side for any sign of movement.

BLAM!!!

Excitedly, I walked towards him. I had never seen anyone shoot a pheasant without a dog before. I looked down and saw a dead rat.

Suddenly, my mind pictured the three of us, walking through the jungles of Viet-Nam with this guy at point. Hoping that we would see the snipers and the booby traps and the trip wires before they blew up in our face. I stopped laughing.

"How long were you in "Nam", I asked him a little later.

"Long enough." he replied.

It was a quiet ride home.

No comments: